Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lolita's Pupuseria

I remember seeing a show on the Food Network that featured pupusas, but had never tried them until a couple days ago when a friend who had traveled to El Salvador asked for help making them. Ours turned out pretty well, but let's just say that Lolita's made them MUCH better!



The staff was fantastic, I was greeted very quickly and warmly and given a great overview of the menu. Naturally, I had many questions about what to order, how much to order, etc., and all were answered perfectly.


(a great pic borrowed from another user of a pupusa with curdito and tomato sauce)

Upon recommendation, I ordered 3 pupusas - one with chicharrones and queso, one with queso and jalapenos, and the last with queso and loroco (an edible Central American flower) that were topped with tomato sauce and curtido (a kind of spicy coleslaw). It's hard to say which was my favorite of the 3, each were very good! If I had to pick one, I'd say the queso and loroco was my favorite - it had such a different taste that really stood out!

(another great pic borrowed from another user of the inside of the restaurant)

In addition to the food, the staff was wonderful! They were very warm and treated me like a valued guest. Coupled with a nice family atmosphere, this was a great Sunday lunch - I will definitely be going back soon and will be bringing friends!

Check out Lolita's Pupuseria on Jacksonville's Southside near the corner of San Jose Blvd and Loretto Rd.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try this place! Good to see another food blogger on the Jax scene. Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete